Volunteer Expenses Policy

SAND greatly appreciates and values the time given by volunteers to help support our work and we are committed to ensuring that no volunteer is out of pocket because of expenses incurred whilst carrying out their role. This policy makes sure that no one needs to spend their own money volunteering for us.

For legal reasons, we can only reimburse the actual money that you’ve had to spend because of your volunteering. This is also to ensure that it’s not regarded as taxable income by HMRC, that it doesn’t affect any possible state benefits or claims for asylum.


Reasonable travel costs will be reimbursed in accordance with the following guidelines;

  • Where ever possible the cheapest mode of transport should be use
  • If a volunteer is entitled to any kind of travel concession such as senior citizen pass or student pass, this should be used.
  • As a rule, taxi costs may not be claimed for unless in exceptional circumstances and must be with prior authorisation of the Events’ Organiser. Exceptional circumstances may include if a volunteer has particular health or mobility restrictions or where it would be unsafe for a volunteer to take another form of transport

Mileage claims:

  • Volunteers may claim their mileage from home to the site of the volunteering activity (anticipated maximum return of around 50 miles).
  • We reimburse mileage costs at the HMRC rate, which is currently set at 45 pence per mile, but may be subject to change.
  • By submitting an expense form that includes a claim for mileage, Volunteers are confirming that they have up-to-date insurance cover, a current driving licence, a valid MOT certificate and have informed their insurance company that the vehicle is being used for voluntary activities.

Car parking:

  • can be claimed to cover the duration of the time volunteering and where nearby free parking is not available
  • up to a maximum of £10 p/day.

Process to claim expenses

  • To claim expenses you’ll need to complete a form (available here) and attach your receipts. With the exception of mileage costs, we can only pay expenses if we have the paper receipts (including tickets). If receipts are unavailable, redacted bank or credit card statements showing the expense you’re claiming for will be an acceptable alternative.
  • Completed forms should be emailed or printed out and given to SAND. We then check your form and authorise your expenses.
  • We usually pay expenses within two weeks of receiving a correctly completed and approved claim.
    Claims will be paid by BACS or by cheque. (NB BACS payments are usually made within 2 weeks but cheque payments may take longer.)
  • We will not be able to back date any expense claims that are submitted more than 2 months after the date being claimed for.