- 22nd May 2021 – SAND signed up to the new Rainbow Lottery as a new fundraising venture – tickets available!
- 19th May 2021 – We delivered the first of 3 trial training sessions to 7 AgeUK reception/hub staff, volunteering and REACH leads. This was over Zoom
- 4th May 2021 – Step one, Stage one – preparing for training – so lots of preparatory stuff started today when SAND Zoomed with 6 key personnel at AgeUK STW and AgeUK H&W to float training content ideas for REACH (tele-friending) volunteers which will be shaped over the next couple of months.
- 29th April 2021 – SAND attended an End of Life review workshop and raised issues for LGBT+ people
- 29th April 2021 – we met with theh interim CEO at Shropshire Partners in Care to look at how to take forward our Covid-delayed Whole System Approach joint project
- 27th April 2021 – follow up meeting with Wrekin Housing who want to work with us
- 15th April 2021 – zoom instigated the lead on Equality & Diversity in the People team of the new Integrated Care System – about how can we work together
- 13th April 2021 – we took part in a webinar hosted by De Montfort University and entitled: We’re isolated – but are we alone? The challenges of lockdown in dementia and LGBT communities, a talk by Patrick Etteneson
- 6th April 2021 – our Community Engagement Officer formally took up her role on 10 hrs p/wk having volunteered with us through March – welcome Fran!
- 1st April 2021 – our Events & Volunteers Officer started working for SAND on 10 hrs a week, having cut her teeth at the mammoth online Shrewsbury LGBT+ History Festival – welcome Jade!
- 29th March 2021 – attended an event to find out more about The Lasting Difference – how to make organisations more sustainable
- 25th March 2021 – SAND attended a webinar to find out more about the new Rainbow Lottery
- 23rd March 2021 – meeting with AgeUK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin and AgeUK Herefordshire & Worcestershire to plan their respective LGBT+ tele-friending services as part of a collaborative REACH initiative
- 10th March 2021 – SAND delivered a 3 hour LGBT+ Awareness Raising Training Webinar to 8 members of staff working in Adult Social Care at Shropshire Council
- 28th February 2021 SAND hosted a screening of Gen Silent and led a Q & A as part of the 2021 (all online) Shrewsbury LGBT+ History Festival. This received fantastic feedback from the audience.
- 1st February 2021 SAND launched a new video for Dignity Day with the voices of LGBT+ people – expressing what dignity means to them, this was played alongside a presentation delivered to Community Health Trust Dignity Champions.Because of the ongoing lockdown restrictions due to Covid 19, the presentation was delivered virtually and via a phone line with technical support from the CHT. WE are, as yet, unaware of the number of ‘attendees’.
- 13th January 2021 – our brand new, first ever, Marketing & Design Officer started her contract on 10 hrs p/week – welcome to the team Trudy!
November – December 2020 – SPIC Training. These were 2-part sessions as the initial stages of a bigger piece of work (see our project A ‘Whole System’ Approach). The idea is for some of these attendees to carry on working with us to look in more detail at their own organisations:
- 2nd & 9th December – 7 attendees
- 19th & 26th Nov – 12 attendees
- 3rd & 10th Nov – 7 attendees
3rd December 2020 – SAND attended an online seminar by Galop on same sex domestic abuse
2nd December 2020– zoom with Office for National Statistics about the forthcoming census and encouraging LGBT+ people to complete sections on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
27th November 2020 – zoom with Death Doula regarding potential SAND event on death and dying for February or beyond
24th November 2020 – SAND delivered a 2.5 hour session to approximately 25 social work students at Glyndwr College in Oswestry. The session was well-received and prompted the lecturer to consider where else SAND could contribute to the College curriculum.
Thanks for a positive, moving and stimulating lecture. You managed the mixed group, the technology and the subject matter beautifully (Lecturer)
- October – November 2020 – 3 members of the SAND Team took part in the LGBT Foundation Training on Dementia
- 18th November 2020 – SAND met with the Community Health Trust and agreed to participate in Dignity Day on 1st Feb, attending a webinar and putting together a short video on what dignity means to LGBT+ people
- 12th November 2020 – Pilot Zoom Workshop with Shoosmiths Lawyers – attended by 12 LGBT people, all of whom gave positive feedback. The workshop consisted of a talk about issues we all face, but don’t often want to think about: wills, end of life care, power of attorney, next of kin and so on.. Knowing what rights we have, being prepared.
An interesting and engaging session by a very knowledgeable solicitor who listens and responds honestly to our concerns. I left feeling I had learnt something. An empowering experience
- 5th November 2020 – first zoom with Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust who wanted to meet with us to talk about how we could work together
- 4th November 2020 – SAND attended a training session on issues for Trans People
- 21st October 2020 – zoom with Omega – establish a relationship and agree to keep in touch and explore further how we can work together
- 19th October 2020 – first meeting with Principal Social Worker (Adult Social Care Shropshire Council) – agree that issues facing LGBT people need to be addressed more systematically within the council and Social Work training/Continuing Professional Development.
- 19th October 2020 – re-established connection with Wrekin Housing Support and Enablement Officer
- 15th October 2020 – SAND took part in Mental Health First Aid Training which flags up the many issues that potentially face LGBT+ people, particularly at a time of Covid-related lockdown.
- 9th October 2020 – meeting with Community Health Trust to re-establish working relationship and ways forward
- 6th October 2020 – meeting with Shropshire Healthwatch about incorporating questions relating to LGBT practice in Enter and View assessments (subsequently halted due to covid and no ‘live’ E&V visits)
- 17th September 2020– initial meeting with SaTH to start to establish an ongoing relationship – especially with new Equality &Diversity lead
- 11th September 2020 – first meeting regarding being part of an Advisory Group for research by Birmingham University on Social Workers LGBT awareness when completing care assessments (involving Shropshire ASC, Wolverhampton and Birmingham University)
- 3rd September 2020 – we took part in a webinar on End Of Life care – with a focus on LGBT+ people. A timely reminder of the issues we need to be addressing for all our community.
- 24th August 2020 – we took part in a sessions facilitated by Opening Doors, focused on CQC standards. A helpful session in light of ours work with health and social are providers, all subject to CQC standards.
- 13th August 2020 – SAND co-hosted an online screening of Gen Silent, beamed from California to an audience of 100 in Shropshire and beyond and took part in the Q & A with AgeUK STW
- 13th August 2020 – we had our first formal meeting with AgeUK STW to take forward REACH – a new LGBT+ befriending pilot project for telephone and letter-writing. This has now expanded to include AgeUK Herefordshire & Worcestershire too!
- 12th August 2020 – we took part in an information session with SPIC to help us to work better with Zoom as a training delivery platform. This was a reminder that SAND will need to be creative and adapt our training methods to suit the current climate.
- 23rd June 2020 – SAND moved office and is now based at The Roy Fletcher Centre in Shrewsbury.
- 12th June 2020 – The SAND Action Group is now represented on the group recently formed at SaTH to take forward Equality, Diversity and Inclusion work
- June and July 2020, two of the SAND Action Group took part in the LGBT Foundation Pride in Practice Training – and passed with flying colours!
- 11th June 2020 – SAND took part in a zoom discussion with Sue Westwood about research into Covid-19 and its impact on older LGBT+ people
- 3rd June 2020 – three of the SAND Action Group got together (virtually) with 3 others to take part in the first of a series of Creative Conversations Art Workshops on Zoom. Facilitated by local artist Dea Paradisos and Art-technician Richard Benjamin