We are delighted to have launched our Covenant and to have received such interest and enthusiasm from organisations across Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin. Scroll down to see who is signing up to the 5 commitments ….
Affinity Homecare Shrewsbury – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin – website
Information and Advice is only one of the extensive range of services provided by AgeUK STW, they also offer help and support with: advocacy, living power of attorney (charged service), help at home (charged but subsidised), home from hospital scheme (South Shropshire only) and lots of social groups, including dementia support, dementia respite service, 28 day centres, knitting, ballet, women’s walking football, many more.
AgeUKSTW has been involved with SAND from the very beginning:
- their CEO is one of the founder members, as well as being on the original panel for the UK premiere of Gen Silent.
- SAND has worked with AgeUKSTW to develop their LGBT+ specific REACH tele-friending service
- about a dozen staff have taken part in the SAND LGBT+ Awareness Training
- their CEO took part in the first tranche of our Training for Facilitators
- they had a stall at our Afternoon Tea event in May 2022
- the organisation is in conversation with the ‘In the Café’ older & old LGBT+ Group to see how they can support them moving forwards
- AgeUK will also be hosting a display of the LGBT+ History Boards in their prominent public-facing windows during the 2023 LGBT+ History festival.
We are delighted to see their very public declaration of commitment to the Covenant: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/shropshireandtelford/about-us/news/articles/2023/we-embrace-a-culture-of-inclusion/
Citizens Advice Shropshire – website
CAS provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone and campaigns to improve the policies that affect people’s lives. CAS also provides specialist services including: Pension Wise – a free and impartial government guidance service about the different ways you can take money from your pension. Their debt team provides specialist advice on managing your money and dealing with your debts.
CAS was the first organisation to sign up to the Covenant. They:
- have helped SAND to develop the Covenant itself, helping us to tweak and shape our template action plan.
- they have developed and have now started implementing their own action plan.
- their CEO talked about their commitment at the 2022 Shrewsbury LGBT+ History Festival Launch event
- their lead for the Covenant took part in our panel at the Future-proofing event we held in October 2022
They have a Pride flag on the home page of their website and a clear statement about their commitment to the Covenant.
Coverage Care Services Ltd – website
Coverage is a not-for-profit organisation, providing nursing, residential and respite care services for older people and those living with dementia or a disability throughout Shropshire and Telford and Wrekin
- They have identified some enthusiastic and dedicated staff as champions, and now hold regular meetings for the champions to agree to their corporate approach to raising awareness. The Champions are sharing their commitment to the covenant in staff meetings and discussing during their shifts. All champions photos are displayed in reception areas and Champions wear a rainbow flay badge for easy identification.
- Rainbow flags are displayed on the entrance doors.
- All of their homes have the Age UK LGBTQ+ information booklets to share with residents, families and staff.
- They have added a LGBTQ+ resources area to their training portal and regularly post podcast discussions, articles and links available to all of staff and residents.
- They have amended their admission documents to ask about people’s identity in the hope by raising the question their residents may wish to talk about their life experiences.
- They have committed to celebrating LGBTQ+ History Festival by showcasing information boards in their homes
- They are busy planning activities to celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride month.
- One of their residents has recently “come out” whilst in the care home and the manager has supported the individual to attend SAND’s In the Café and to take part in The Wave Project.
Crane Counselling, commissioned one of our LGBT+ Awareness courses over the Summer and have recently signed up to the Covenant. We have had our first meeting with them to develop their action plan. They identified their first step to update their promotional leaflet.
Cruse Bereavement Services (West Midlands) – website
Cruse helps people through one of the most painful times in life – with bereavement support, information and campaigning.
They are a national organisation and the team at the West Midlands branch have a very good relationship with SAND, proactively arranging regular meetings to talk through ideas and working towards the development of a specific resource for older and old LGBT+ people. Since signing up to the Covenant, Cruse has:
- developed a very doable action plan
- two Cruse volunteers have taken part in our LGBT+ Awareness Training
- the same two Cruse volunteers have taken part in our Training for Facilitators programme.
- started discussion with SAND about co-producing useful resources aimed specifically at LGBT+ people. These should be underway in 2023.
Energize STW – website
The Energize purpose is to improve quality of life through the benefits of physical activity. Amongst other things, Energize host the Elevate programme. This is a movement exercise programme designed for over 60s to strengthen muscles to improve and maintain posture, coordination, and balance.
Since signing up to the Covenant, Energize STW has:
- commissioned SAND to run a half day LGBT+ Awareness session with 13 members of the team (2 on Zoom!)
- developed an action plan
- met with SAND to discuss how to take their action plan forward
The Green Oak Foundation CIC – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them.
Healthwatch Shropshire – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Morris Care – providing both home and residential care, signed up to the Covenant early in 2023 and have already developed their Action Plan. We are looking forward to working through the next stages with them.
Positive Steps Shropshire – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Qube – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Radfield Home Care (Shrewsbury & Oswestry) – website
Radfield is a home care provider, with additional specialism in care for the elderly with medication and dementia care needs.
Radfield has been connected with SAND for a long time in one way or another. Since signing the Covenant, Radfield has:
- commissioned training from SAND for 8 staff members
- committed to all key staff taking part in LGBT Awareness E-learning (this is not SAND’s training)
- completed the first EMBRACE Training for Facilitators programme for 2 members of staff
- started working on their Action Plan, looking both at LGBT+ clients and at recruiting carers from LGBT+ communities aged 50+.
- delivered a presentation at an In The Cafe session
- taken part on the panel for SAND’s Future-proofing event in October 2022.
Radfield has a visible commitment to the Covenant on their website
Severn Hospice – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Shropshire Council – website
A huge and complex organisation, SAND has been working particularly with staff in Adult Social Care, Carers Support, Occupational Therapy Team, Leisure Services, Libraries and Social Prescribing. Shropshire Council has:
- started work on its action plan.
- developed Terms of Reference for the working group established to implement the plan
- worked with SAND to provide exhibition space for The Wave Project
- taken part in the panel for SAND’s Future-proofing event in October 2022
- supported their Carers’ Support Team Coordinator to take part in the Training for Facilitators
SAND delivers LGBT+ Awareness training through the Council’s Joint Training programme
Shropshire Domestic Abuse Service – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Shropshire Homes for All (SHFA) – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Shropshire Mental Health Support – has signed up and we are looking forward to working with them
Shropshire, Telford and Wrekin Integrated Care System (ICS) – website
The ICS is a vast partnership of NHS and local government organisations, alongside independent and voluntary sector groups. It focuses on health and care services to meet current and future needs across Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin. The partnership includes Robert Jones Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust, Shrewsbury & Telford Hospitals (see the full list here).
The ambition of the ICS is to develop and implement an action plan – engaging LGBT+ staff networks, E & D group and at Board level. To this end, the ICS has, to date:
- drafted a skeleton Action Plan to be worked up with their internal LGBT+ Networks and have produced a cyclical review plan aiming to engage the necessary parties to ensure the action plan is resourced and implemented.
- part-funded the development of the Training for Facilitators and filled 2 places (from RJAH and the Community Health Trust) on the first tranche.
SPIC (Shropshire Partners in Care) – website
is a ‘care association’ representing approximately 240 independent Nursing, Residential, Supported Living and Domiciliary Care providers in Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin.
Since signing up to the Covenant, SPIC has
- submitted their Action Plan
- part funded the development of our Training for Facilitators programme
- their Training Officer took part in the first tranche of the Training for Facilitators
- met with SAND to discuss how they can take the learning forward
- promoted SAND events in their e-newsletter
- begun shaping ideas for a resource around ‘Developing Good Practice Guides for Social care in Shropshire’
STAR Housing have submitted their action plan and one of their team took part in the Training for Facilitators programme. They have also taken part in our LGBT+ Awareness Training.
Wrekin Housing Group – website
Wrekin provides over 13,000 homes for affordable rent and low cost home ownership across Shropshire, Staffordshire and Telford & Wrekin. They also deliver domiciliary care for the elderly, supported housing, as well as dementia nursing care.
Since signing up to the Covenant, Wrekin:
- has written and started implementing, their action plan.
- commissioned SAND to deliver LGBT+ awareness training to over 100 of their staff
- two staff members, in Learning & Development roles have taken part in the Training for Facilitators
- programme and are now delivering SAND training
- worked with SAND to provide space to deliver its facilitators training programme
- committed to delivering inclusion training to over 1,000 employees
- one member of staff is engaged in the SAND Action Group
- regularly review policies and the impact of those policies on the LGBT+ community
- their lead for the Covenant took part in our panel at the Future-proofing event
- have an proactive LGBT+ staff network group.